Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Assumptions have Implications

Assumptions Have Implications

Theories in psychology have unspoken assumptions and implications
The “from whence” and “to whence” of the theory
Assumptions are the fundamental ideas about the nature of reality that must be true for the theory to work
Implications are the consequences that logically follow from the assumptions: If ___ then ____
Example: Assuming we’re biologically determined
1. I’m a therapist that holds fast to an evolutionary model of behavior. I assume that all of human behavior is “hard-wired” and genetically determined. I read an article of a woman proclaiming the evils of adultery and how infidelity is “destroying today’s families”.
A. What would be my reaction to this article?
B. I’m a marriage counselor for a couple with one spouse is unfaithful, much to the distress of the other member of the marriage. How does my assumption that all behavior is “hard-wired” imply whether or not I should intervene with the unfaithful spouse?
C. If I choose to intervene, how would I intervene, given the assumption that all behavior is “hard-wired”?
Example: Assuming “it’s all good”
1. I’m a therapist that holds fast to a postmodernist model of behavior. I assume that all human behavior is morally relative, and that any dogmatic worldview (political, religious, or individual) is inherently harmful. I have a client in my office for an initial consultation who feels she has “sinned” and is greatly depressed, ashamed, and guilty for her behavior. I learn that by the standards of her deeply-held religion, she did indeed violate certain tenets of her faith.
A. Given my postmodern position, what would my reaction be to her shame, guilt, and grief?
B. How might I intervene with her, given that I feel that “it’s all good” and that dogmatism is inherently a problem?
Example: Assuming behavior is caused by unconscious forces
1. I’m a therapist from an analytic tradition. I assume that all of human behavior is due to unconscious processes (factors outside of our awareness over which we have no control). I’m meeting with a client who is greatly angry at his father. He feels his father betrayed his family by leaving his mother for a younger woman and moving suddenly to another state.
A. Given my analytic position, would I agree that the father is morally responsible for his own behavior?
B. If the father is not morally responsible, are my clients feelings rational or irrational?

Assumptions and Implications are rarely discussed
Themselves embedded in other assumptions and implications


Assumed Yet Overlooked: Agency
Agency = the ability to do otherwise, all things remaining equal
A HUGE assumption in our daily lives
Love, anger, shame, guilt, joy, often built on agency
Morality is not possible without agency
No choice = “good” and “bad” cease to make sense
If I have no agency (no choice) I cannot help what I do, hence it cannot be “bad” or “good”
Free will (utterly unconstrained behavior) seems impossible
We do have history, context, bodies
Understanding of contextualized agency
Critically examining what people can do, and what they cannot
Constraints not determinism

Standards for Critical Thought:
Clarity
You need to speak or present in a way that is clear and that the listener can understand
Accuracy
What you say really needs to be true (checkable empirically, qualitatively, etc.)
Precision
Giving precise enough details is very helpful and a good sign
Relevance
The statement should be relevant to the topic, to the issue, to the question
Breadth
There may be other ways of looking at the topic that need to be addressed
Logic
What you are saying now needs to follow directly and sensibly from what you said before

No comments: